Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Isda anyone?

This morning I was awakened at 6:15 by a man walking down the street shouting "Isda.....Isda.....Iiiiiss-daaa". It is not uncommon for us to have salesmen walking down our street announcing their wares, but this was a little earlier than normal. So what type of things are for sale? you ask. Of course we have the Filipino version of the ice cream man, which is either a young boy carrying a Styrofoam cooler slung across his shoulder filled with ice cream, or a bike type push cart that plays a song as it rolls, but we also have other goodies for sale as well. Anything from Ice cream to balut (a Filipino delicacy consisting of a half formed duck egg), to men carrying foam mattresses to plastic ware and of course isda--which is Tagalog for fish. My thought at 6:15 am was-"Who wants fish at 6:15 in the morning?" Quickly followed by the thought--"Of course- fish is a breakfast food here". I am sure someone took the fish vendor up on his offering of fish and right now they have cleaned and cooked that fish and are sitting down to a nice breakfast of fish, eggs, and of course rice. As for me, I will just stick to my toast. After awaking a few minutes early this morning, I woke up the kids for the last day of school. I then decided to lay back down for "just a minute since I don't have to fix lunches." The next thing I knew the kids ride was here and they weren't ready to go. There was no lunch to fix or backpacks to pack. Yet, for the first time this year, they were not ready when their ride showed up. Will didn't even have a shirt on because he could not find his uniform and Emily had not even begun to de-snarl her hair. I quickly helped them finish up and get out the door. What a way to end the school year.

addition to the above blog: It is now 7:20 and it just dawned on me why the kids were late in getting ready for school and the reason I was awakened by the Fishmonger. We normally wake up at 6:00 not 6:30. No wonder the kids couldn't get ready by 6:45. Ooops! Do you ever have those little mental moments?

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines