Sunday, May 21, 2006

Fresh Pineapple!

The weather has cooled off a little since last weekend's typhoon. The rains have come and the clouds have kept it from being quite so hot. This afternoon(Sunday), Will, Emily, WAGs, and I enjoyed being out in the back yard. Will was busy doing his "workout" which consists of swinging, running laps around the yard, 50 pushups, chinups, and climbing up a rock wall. He began having a workout routine in Greenwood, where he also used hand weights. He is so funny when he does this. He says he wants to get big and strong. Emily spent her time visiting with the baby bunnies and swinging. WAGs spent his time chasing Will or the Nelsen's dog. Our yard is on a large slope and so the back yard is terraced. As I was sitting at the top of some stairs leading to a lower level I noticed something growing in what I had thought was just a tropical bush or plant. In the center was a cute little pineapple. How do you grow pineapples? Cindy told me that you cut the green part and about an inch off the top of a fresh pineapple and plant it. It takes 9 months to mature. I guess this pineapple was planted shortly after we arrived. One of the things we like about living here is eating fresh pineapple. I usually buy one each week-- my favorite variety is Dole super gold. It is very sweet and smells really good. There are many varieties, but this is one of the more expensive. It costs only a dollar a piece so we bite the bullet and get our favorite. I think over the next few weeks I will plant some more pineapple tops. I will let you know in 9 months how they turn out.
Emily checking out the pineapple
Will and our pineapple
This young coconut tree was planted when our house was built about 5 years ago.
One day it will provide some shade for Will's swingset

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines