Monday, May 01, 2006

Happy Birthday to me!

Today was my first birthday spent in a foreign country and it was declared a national holiday. The kids were off from school and we went for a swim in the afternoon. Later we had a cookout with the Nelsen's and another family. It was a lot of fun and good fellowship! It was nice that a holiday was declared in my honor. They called it Labor day, but I really know the truth! (Funny how in the US people have a hard time remembering if Labor day is in May or Sept)

For my birthday, Emily baked her first cake. She got the recipe out of an old American Girl magazine that belonged to Anna, who lived here before us and is now around 20. It was really easy and the taste wasn't too bad, but it wouldn't win any contests. I think Em was proud of herself, but a little disappointed in the taste. I explained to her that the recipe has a lot to do with how good something is and a cake recipe that lacks eggs, lacks a lot. I was so proud of how good she did with no help. We had a great laugh when I told her about the first time I made a macaroni cassarole for Allan's dinner as a young newlywed. I didn't know you were supposed to cook the macaroni first. Oops! It was a little crunchy. I think she was glad my cooking skills have come a long way. Anyway I am now....well I am not going to announce my age on the internet. Those of you who love me know how young I am.

Emily's cake with a beautiful flower candle!

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines