Wednesday, February 28, 2007

What are you thinking?

A few months back a friend sent us the above video. Allan and I find it hysterical. It is very indicative of some of our communication here, not only in Tagalog but often in English as well. Allan always feels a little sheepish when asking Ling to translate a word, only to find out it was an English one.

In the above case, Germans often replace the "th" sound with an "s" sound. In a similar way, in Tagalog v and b are interchangeable. One example-- Allan sees many patients with "TV". Also there are many American movies on "DBD" here. Just outside Valley Golf where the kids school is located is a restaurant called the "Balley Gulp Restaurant and Bar". On the way to school, I pass a subdivision called the "Igorot Bilig" It took me forever to catch on to the fact that "Bilig" is actually Village.

Just in case you think I am not aware of Americans mispronunciations, I am quite aware that a Frenchman would cringe to hear Atlantans talk about driving on Ponce De Leon Ave. If you aren't familiar with the Atlanta area just try dragging it out with a Southern accent and you'll see what I mean. And we won't even touch Al's and my mistakes with Tagalog. We've mentioned those before.

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines