Thursday, March 01, 2007

Service with a Smile

Each year America moves toward more and more self service. When we left the states I was not only bagging my own groceries, but scanning them and checking myself out too. At fast food restaurants, I fixed the drinks and ketchup for our family. As for the gas station, well I have never had my gas pumped by someone that wasn't also riding in the car. Things work a little differently here. It is like stepping back to a different era. The era of customer service, bag boys, and gas station attendants. Not just the grocery store has bag boys. Almost every store has someone to carry out your packages. We have had young men carry things from the hardware store at the mall to our car parked down the street in a parking garage. Not only is there help to carry things, but purchases have to be bagged and wrapped just right. Boxes, large items and packages, including pizza boxes, are tied with ribbons (red seems to be the most common color) for easy carrying before you leave the store. As for the gas station, I have never even touched the gas cap on our car or a gas pump here. Never even gotten out of the car at the gas station. The windows are even washed and squeegeed clean.

Yesterday when I went to the grocery store, there was a employee there to help put my groceries up on the conveyor belt. I then was expected to sit on a stool while my groceries were being rung up and bagged. This can sometimes be an awkward moment if I don't want to sit. I am never sure if it is ok just to stand. Sometimes they will keep telling me to "sit down ma'm" until I do. It is one of those cultural moments where I don't want to be offensive by standing. Do I really look that tired from grocery shopping?

Usually, after paying, a bag boy takes our groceries to the car. This service costs me a tip of about 10-20 cents. Yesterday, the store was very crowded so I told the bag boy I would take them out myself. I do this sometimes just to touch base with my past life and feel a little normal. Typical though, as I left the building, the sercurity guard guided the buggy down the inclined entry way. He then proceeded to help me to my car and unload the buggy. This, by the way, is not his job. If it is raining, the security guards carry an umbrella for those who got caught in the store with out one.

The Filipino people love to help. They are generally very friendly and patient. I am not sure that I have ever had an employee, walking in to start their shift at Walmart, ask to take my buggy for me? It just rarely happens there, but it often happens here. Even the guy who hails the trikes for those without cars, will come out to meet you and take your cart as you push it back across the parking lot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. & Mrs. Gilmer,

My name is James. I'm from Davao City, Philippines and working in Dubai right now.

I just want you to know that your posts inspired us a lot here. We know how much you and ur family must have missed ur home country. Children growing in a lot different culture. But, I know seeing your endeavors and the positive values, they are so much blessed.

Thanks for being their for us. :)

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines