Sunday, February 11, 2007

One of the Perks of being a Missionary

There are times when living on the other side of the world is hard and difficult and emotionally draining. There are days when we want to throw in the towel and head home. There are also times when we are inspired and awed by what we see God doing in and through us here and by the people we meet and know. There are also little perks that come with living overseas. One of those perks is the places we get to visit and see. Last week was one of those little perks.

I spent the week in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Northern Thailand is gorgeous with its lush greenery and mountains. Although the day time temps are similar to the Philippines, the evenings and mornings were crisp and cold (low 50s) and it was nice to need long pants and a jacket once again. I was there working with kids at a family education conference for homeschoolers. Having loved homeschooling in the past, I have a passion for homeschooling and those who do it, especially those living in remote areas of Asia. I got to know 16 of the greatest 9 year olds. They were such a great group of kids. I also got to know lots of wonderful people working throughout Asia. It was a busy week, but a wonderful experience.


Besides the conference, I had a day to do a little sight seeing in Chiang Mai. 2 friends from Manila and I took a tour of some of the handicraft workshops. We saw silversmiths, silk production, jade carvings, and other native carfts. It was quite interesting.

Spinning silk from silk worms into thread




weaving silk


Silver Smith


Carving Jade



Visiting the handicrafters wasn't the best part of that day though. After spending some time on this tour, we drove 30 minutes or so out to a rural area to visit an elephant farm. Here I got to spend some time up close and personal with elephants.

We began by feeding the elephants bananas and sugar cane.


We then watched them get a bath in the river


This was followed by a performance put on by the elephants

We got to meet one of the baby elephants

and finally a ride on an elephant
I felt a little bit like an African--or actually in this case an Asia Queen as I was perched on my elephant throne. I had a trainer seated just behind the elephants ears who giuded us on a 45 minute ride through the moutains of Thailand. It was so beautiful, but at times a little scary. When we began our climb I felt uneasy being tipped backwards, but that was nothing compared to the desent down the steep path. I had to use some stong muscles to keep from sliding out. It was quite the work out. I was a little scared at times. Maggie, one of my companions actually lost her purse. It slipped right out. The elephant picked it up for her though. Unfortunately it had fallen into elephant dung--yuck! Elephant dung smells quite stinky! My elephant was named Bowang Thot and she was 37 years old--just like me. She was such a cutie!

On our ride we saw the baby nursery, the elephant feeding area and the elephant showers. Also the elephant houses. These elephants have the freedom to walk around through out the farm. They aren't in cages or even pens. It was a great day, but I was sure tired afterward.
If you ever get a chance to visit Thailand I highly recommend it, especially the elephants. Chiang Mai is beautiful and the people are nice and friendly. My only disappointment in the week was that Will wasn't there to share the elephants with me. He has loved elephants since he was a tiny little boy. He would have had a blast. Maybe one day he can join me.

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines