Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year!

It is officially 2008 in our part of the world. We are just about to head to bed, but I thought first I would share just a glimpse into New Year's Eve in Manila. (It's late so please excuse any typos or strange wording) This town loves this night. It is indescribable what it is like to be here on News Year's Eve. The sky is filled with fireworks for 2+ hours until the city completely diasappears in the smoke. Our ears ring with what sounds like a major battle. It is an amazing thing to see fireworks spread across the whole skyline as far as you can see. These aren't just cheapo bottlerockets either, although we do have our share of those. It is an impressive display of huge explosions filling the night sky. So here is 40 seconds or so of the city taken about 8 minutes before midnight. My digital camera doesn't capture the true spectacular expanse of it.

1 comment:

Amberly said...

Hi, I'm not sure how I stumbled across your blog, but I have enjoyed reading your posts. Our family just moved to Manila in July, so we are adjusting to life in the Philippines. It's a bit of a relief to read about another American's experience & realize I am not completely crazy when I get excited about eating at Chiles or when I am appalled about the high price of imported groceries (like canned raviolis).

Happy New Year!

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines