Wednesday, January 02, 2008

A Trip to the Province

Each year, just after New Year's we leave home to take a trip out to Laguna for a missions conference. It is great to get out of the city and see some of the beauty of the Philippines. Today, we stopped for lunch along the way at a restaurant called Exotic. It was quite an exotic experience for some of us. Allan ordered Kambing Caldereta. Kambing is the Tagalog word for goat. It was quite delicious, although with the sauce, Al was a little skeptical of what all was in it. I ordered a something semi-safe-Korean Bulgogi and then I split an order of sawa with Scott. Sawa is the Tagalog word for Python. It was actually pretty good. Too many little bones though. I was quite proud of my adventurous self, but I am still not ready to eat balut (a half formed duck egg).
The kids would not be quite so adventurous as their parents. Will ordered his standard cheeseburger and Em ordered a club sandwich. Oh well, I was young once and I definitely wouldn't have eaten snake or goat. Actually, I really disliked rice unil I was in college. Who would have thought that it would play such a vital role in my adult diet.

Python cooked in coconut milk
About to take my first bite!

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines