Saturday, November 03, 2007

Moments from childhood

Do you have memories from childhood that are so vivid you can almost re-live them? I have a few events that can replay in my mind as if I am there once again. When I was about Emily's age, my parents had this big old green Chevy Impala. I don't remember it being a pretty green. It was a cross between an avocado and an olive green and the glossy finish had long since faded. My dad got a deal on it when my grandfather bought a new car and sold it to him cheap. I have a vivid picture of climbing into the backseat of this car and slamming the door on my mom's finger (I think it was her thumb). My stomach still clinches and hurts to this day when I think about how much that must have hurt.

For the last 12 1/2 years, I have lived in dread of history repeating itself and one of my own children shutting my finger in the car door. The closest we've come is the time Emily shut Will's head in the sliding van door during residency. That is until now....

You know how parents are always saying, "When you grow up, I hope you have a kid just like you!"? Well mine didn't really have to say that. Unfortunately, when I grew up I still had myself. Last week payback came when I shut my own finger in the car door. Can you believe it?? It is purple and blue, I am probably going to lose the nail, and Al thinks I should get it x-rayed because it might be broken. I often find myself telling Emily to "pay attention to what you're doing." and "Quit acting so harum scarum". Two expressions I hated, that my Mom used to tell me. How can I expect my child to be something that to this day I am still not?

By the way if you know where the expression harum scarum comes from I'd be interested.

1 comment:

David, Greenwood SC said...

Well I'll never forget the music camp when I discovered were Em got it from. YOU!!! Hope your finger gets better. I would love to hear the whole story.
Love Ya,
Susan
P.S.Jess's feet are healing we start 8 week of PT Wed..2 times a week.

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines