Friday, December 29, 2006

Is There a Doctor in the House?

Since Allan began med school in 1998, we have heard stories from other docs, especially missionary docs about stitching people up on their kitchen table. I have been anxiously awaiting the day when we would have our own “kitchen table” story. While we have had a few minor treatments at the house, with the clinic so close, Al takes people with more serious injuries up there. That is until today… We have finally given stitches here at the house, only it wasn’t some friend or neighbor knocking on the door and we didn’t use the kitchen table. It wasn’t even one of our own children. Never did I envision the patient would be….me! This evening when Allan came in from the clinic for dinner, he was carrying a big box filled with some Christmas surprises from some of our wonderful friends in Greenwood. I scooted out the screen door to hold it open for him, but when I came back in the door slammed quickly catching my heel making a deep gash. Since it was so deep and jagged, Allan felt like it needed a few stitches. So instead of the kitchen table where we were about to eat supper, I laid face down on the bed and let Allan stitch me up. Will was our wonderful photographer despite his aversion to all medical procedures. The hardest part was keeping Maggie out. She really wanted to join in the fun.

This comes at the end of a banner week at the Gilmer house. I ended Christmas day with a stomach bug. Two days later, I was bitten in the eye by Maggie. I was lying on the floor near where she was playing and she accidentally took my eye for the new rope toy Emily gave her for Christmas. It really wasn’t bad and in the grand scheme of things it could have been a lot worse. I am a now beautiful sight with one puffy red swollen eye and a limp. At least they are on opposite sides of my body to balance each other out. Otherwise we have had a good week. Will received a Star Wars game for Christmas that is keeping us well entertained. Hope the end of 2006 is better for you!

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines