Monday, December 11, 2006

Creepy Crawlies

Well we have experienced another aspect of missionary life in the last few weeks. In an earlier blog, I mentioned Will has been sick. After a week or so of being ill, we had an x-ray and some blood work done. He had worms. This is common here and some missionaries de-worm their kids twice a year just for good measure. The worms were causing him to lose a lot of weight and he became anemic. After de-worming and taking iron and vitamins, he is finally back to his old self. We de-wormed Emily, ourselves and the Brewer kids just in case. Mimi and Pop decided to forgo the worm treatment since they hadn't been here very long and hadn't walked outside barefoot.

No sooner had the worm problem been conquered, then we had an infestation of a different sort that is also common here. Friday morning, a friend called me to let me know her daughter had lice and since she and Em had been together I might be on the look out. Emily walked in the door after school scratching her head and sure enough there was lice. This is so common among the Filipino kids and MKs that they don't even stay home from school. I had the privilege of combing lice out of Em's hair Friday night. Mimi and Pop, while not concerned, really didn't want to have the honor of de-lousing their granddaughter. Em didn't have too many and no eggs that I could see so hopefully I got it all. No one else has shown any signs, but I did feel the urge to scratch my head Friday night.

I always like to have a picture with the blog, but even if I had a picture of the lice or the worms I don't think you would want to see it. I am including a picture my mom took of our precious Maggie looking over the Christmas greenery on our stairs. She is so cute, but she is really enjoying the Christmas decorations too much!

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines