Friday, September 02, 2005

Self diagnosing Diabetes Mellitus

From the Clinic . . .
This is a patient's story that Scott and I shared in the clinic the other day. A middle-aged gentleman came in with an odd complaint. He said, " I think I have diabetes, because the ants like my urine." What he was explaining to us was a pretty astute observation, I thought. Whenever he urinated on the ground, all the ants around came in for the feast, sort of like dropping watermelon juice during your picnic. He was diagnosed with diabetes which causes glucose (sugar) to be lost in the urine. He is now seen in our clinic for follow-up.

During all of my training of medical school and Family Medicine residency, never had I been taught to ask someone if the ants flocked to their urine as a way to diagnose diabetes. Maybe that should be added to the standard "Review of Systems" questions?

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines