Tuesday, August 30, 2005

What stinks?!

First of all, let me say that we try to write about are real experiences, good and bad, spiritual and not-so spiritual. We want to give a glimpse of what it is like to live a new missionaries in the Philippines. That said, if you are easily offended by gross stories, please stop here. If however, you want to experience everything with us, then read on brave soul . . .

For days now, I have been smelling something very weird whenever I sit down to use the computer. . . something a little like stinky feet smell. After many sniffs around the computer, around the computer desk, and generally just around, I could not figure out what the bad smell was. This happened to me repeatedly over the past week. I even thought one of the kids had been sitting in my chair with their feet and that was the smell. (Of course, this is on top of all the other weird smells that are around also.) Then today I noticed the same weird smell at the clinic and I began to really worry - was it ME?! It suddenly struck me that the smell was dependent on my sitting position which at the time was: fingers interlaced, elbows propped on a desk and chin resting on top of my fingers (sort of a "thinking position") With a direction finding sniff or two, I finally solved the stinky mystery. It was my watch, or more specifically my watch band which is made of canvas. Slowly over the past 4 weeks, it has absorbed water from the very high humidity here and was evidently growing some very funky stuff as a result. So another missionary lesson learned here in the Philippine Islands - everything, and I mean everything can and will grow fungus under these conditions.
Allan (Ginger made me sign this one so you wouldn't think she was the stinky watch person)

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines