Friday, August 26, 2005

Getting paid in a free clinic

The medical care given in our clinic is always free to the people we serve. That doesn't mean that we aren't paid though. Almost always, we are given gratitude with the commom phrase "Salamat Po, doc" or sometimes a mixture of english with tagalog, "Thank you Po". (The "po" indicates you are placing the hearer in the respected position.) Occassionally, I'll get a smile or "high five" from a child which is always welcome since doctors are known for doing some painful stuff to little kids. Sometimes the offering of thanks is more tangible and one of the most common is a gift of bananas. I would say that at least once a week or so someone brings in a fruit of their garden with bananas being the #1 gift. Considering that our patient group makes about $1 per day this is a big gift. And when I bring my portion of the bananas back home, I remember our patients while I eat and enjoy them. I remember how blessed I am to have enough food to eat, clean water, toilets, clean clothes, electricity, phone service, internet and so much more. I remember these things because the person who gave me the gift may not have any of these. And in remembering these blessings, I pray and thank God for them because it was by His grace that I am where I am.

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines