Saturday, October 13, 2007

Why do we mail newsletters?

I have just mailed our October newsletter. Looking back over the past week, I realized that the newsletter itself is a lot of work. I stew, sometimes for days, as to the topic or person to be discussed. Debating what “angle” should a story have and deciding if it’s really important enough for mailing.

After the story is written, edited, and hopefully proofread well comes the task of mass mailing. The mechanics of mailing 155 letters is no small feat. First, a final and decent printed black and white copy is needed to take to a local bookstore where they photocopy just the B&W portion. Then, these 155 copies are run through the computer printer to put the color pictures superimposed on the newsletter. (I pray as the photocopies move through the printer that they are close enough to the original document to align with the pictures on the original.) Then through the printer goes 155 envelopes (thankfully there is Excel and printers to avoid 155 hand-written envelopes). Folding the newsletters and putting them in the envelopes is the next step. Finally, the stamp and a seal to close.

So why go through all of this work?

The best way I can explain is that our ministry isn’t just “the Gilmers”, or the doctors, or the clinic. The “we” in our newsletters, in our blog, and in our emails is a host of people. People who are just as involved in this ministry as we are.
People who kneel in prayer daily for us.
People who give regularly, selflessly, and generously to allow us to stay here.
People who write encouraging notes.
People who call and are concerned for our well being.
People who provide leadership and guidance to the ministry.
People who give their time looking for pill bottles, donated medicines, and shipping methods.

When I think about all the people involved (and it is likely you are one of those mentioned above), I want you to see the faces of those you are ministering to. I want you to see the person walk into the clinic well and healed after successful treatment. I want you to know the gratitude that was expressed to me. I want you to feel as if you were sitting in my chair when a child, who was once sick but now healthy, walks in to give a hug.

I am the fortunate one to have experienced the events described in the newsletter. But so many people are involved in our ministry and so I write with the hope of bringing you to where I am, even if just for a glimpse.

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines