Monday, July 30, 2007

A Quiet Week

Last week, we spent time together, just the 4 of us, at my parent's lake house. It was the first time it has been just us since leaving the Philippines. While we have really enjoyed visiting friends and family, it was nice to have some time to be ourselves. We were on our own schedule. We didn't have to get dressed until noon if we didn't want to. We did spend some time in Columbus though. My dad had knee replacement surgery last Monday at the Hughston Sports Medicine Hospital. He is doing really well and recovering nicely.

We love being in Pine Mountain, Georgia. It is so relaxing to be in the wooded Georgia hills. Pine Mtn is a small little town sandwiched between Callaway Gardens and FD Roosevelt State Park, near Warm Springs. I am sure everyone knows exactly where that is. My parent's house sits at the end of a dirt road on a little 17 acre lake. We like to canoe, fish, swim, and putter around on a small boat. It is quiet and relaxing. In the spring, a goose family gave birth to 3 goslings. While they were no longer little by the time we arrived, we have really enjoyed seeing the goose family swim and fly around the lake. Unfortunately, at the end of the week they seemed to have flown off to parts unknown. The kids fascination with the geese has been replaced though by a green heron. They love chasing him in the boat from place to place around the lake.

There have been times in the last week, I have thought about our partner Scott in the Philippines. Scott loves to hunt. While home on furlough last year, I don't think he even saw a deer while out hunting. Scott, next time you are home, you need to come to Georgia where "the deer and the antelope play." OK so I haven't seen any antelope, but the deer are plentiful. If we get up early enough, we can see them out in the yard. In our family, Will is the only one up early enough. He always tells me when he sees them. The rest of us have seen some fawns playing on the dirt road. On Friday, I saw them twice--2 little siblings, who just stood there looking at me in the car. While I was thinking..."didn't your mother teach you not to play in the road?", they were probably thinking...."Why are you driving on our playground." The kids just drool over them. As I was going to pick the kids and Allan up from the historical Liberty Bell Pool, I stopped and got the following picture of one of the "twins". This picture is just for you, Scott.....

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines