Thursday, June 08, 2006

Do you have night sweats?

Back in September I wrote about modifying my list of standard medical questions after a patient said "the ants like my urine". Here's the link to the whole story:
http://thegilmers.blogspot.com/2005/09/self-diagnosing-diabetes-mellitus.html

Since adding this question to my standard list which doctors call the "Review of Systems", I have made a few other cultural adaptations to the question list (translating into Tagalog the most obvious adaptation). One of the questions that I have decided to drop from the regular use is: "Do you have night sweats?" The reason I decided to drop it is because most of our patients live in make-shift housing with cinder block walls and sheet metal roofs. Often they lack electrical power and thus no fan to move the air around either. Now even in our house which was designed to be cooler and has electricity for fans, it can still get pretty hot. Lately when we have been going to bed, it has been in the 87 - 90 degree (F) range. I don't know about you but that is enough to make me have night sweats whether I'm sick or not. So I have to question the usefullness of the information gained from this question...
Or maybe I'll just quit using it because I could never quite pronounce the Tagalog word for night sweats anyway.

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines