Wednesday, March 01, 2006

"Walang stock, Ma'am"

If there is one thing we have learned to count on here, it is not to count on stores having what you are looking for. Just because you bought vegetable shortening at a store before, doesn't mean they will have it today--even if you just bought it last week. That was one of my first experiences with this phenomenon. It took me months to find shortening after running out the first time. I think sometimes this occurs if it is an item which is imported and not commonly used by Filipinos. Many Filipinos do not have ovens or bake so why would they need shortening. Other times there must be a problem in production. There was a time when we could not find Coke Light (Diet) at any store. Those who know me well know of my addiction to diet coke. I had to switch to Pepsi Diet during this crisis. It wasn't too tragic as they both taste different from American Diet Coke. We finally discovered Pepsi Max as our favorite. Unfortunately it is now--"Walang stock"--out of stock.
In the 7 months we have lived here, I have developed some items of brand loyalty. I still buy Heintz ketchup which tastes the same as US heintz(this wasn't so in Kenya). I also always buy Best Foods Mayo. We like Hellmans in the US which is made by Best Foods and this is very similar in taste. I just have to make sure I pick up the "Real Mayonnaise" as opposed to the "Mayo Magic". The jars and coloring are exactly the same except the words. Believe me the taste is not the same.
We have taken to certain brands that are new to us. We like the Knorr seasoning--it is similar to say sauce, and any sauce by Lee Kum Kee. There are many items that I have not established a certain brand that I buy everytime. A lot of times this is because I either #1. didn't purchase this product in the US or #2. none of them taste like what we are used to. Milk falls into this #2 category. The milk we buy is all UHT or shelf milk imported from Australia. It can sit on a shelf in our pantry until opened. None of it is great. The kids like Harvey Fresh though so we have been buying that until...... you guessed it--"Walang stock Ma'am". We found 9 boxes about 3 weeks ago and bought them all. They are all gone now and still none to be seen at any of the stores where we shop. Last week I bought 3 different brands for everyone to try and give their opinion of. Cowshead was the new milk of choice. Yesterday when I went to the Supermarket, guess how many they had?--One! You just have to laugh about these things and accept it as just the way it is. I wanted to tell you more about shopping here, but I have gone on long enough. I want to tell you about products imported fromt the US. I guess I will tell you about that tomorrow.
Happy Shopping!

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines