Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Star Gazing----again

One of the things I like to do here at night, is to step out on the balcony and look at the small twinkling lights of the city of Albang across Laguna de Bay and the star above. If I have alot of energy, I will even take the winding staicase up to the roof and see the whole expanse of the sky. Being so close to a mega metropolis we shouldn't be able to see many stars, but if you remember from my post about Orion, there is a hill that blocks the city of Manila from view so on a clear night, the stars fill the sky. (Ok it probably isn't like being on the prairie in Kansas, but it is as good as Greenwood, SC.) As I stepped out on the balcony last night, the sky was beautiful. I looked up trying to find my friend Orion. He wasn't there. I don't know if he is gone for a while or is just coming out at a different time. It was as I turned SW toward Alabang that I saw it for the first time---the Southern Cross. Thanks to the Crosby, Stills, and Nash song from my childhood. It is the only constellation I know that is in the S. hemisphere and can't be seen from the US. After the Orion post, our good friend Rob emailed us and asked if we could see the Southern Cross. Of course this meant I had to go online and research if we even had a possibility of seeing it. The answer was yes--it is visible anywhere below a latitude of 20. Since we are at about 13 degrees that includes us. So there it was--a cross in the sky. It was beautiful and bright sitting just above the trees. The main line from that song kept running through my mind-- "When you see the Southern Cross for the first time, you understand now why you came this way." It was such a good reminder to me that we are to be like that cross shining forth in the night sky; a beacon in the darkness of the Philippines to lead others to Christ. Sometimes it is so easy to get caught up in the frustration of learning Tagalog, the visible physical problems of our patients, and the dailyness of life that I forget our main goal and purpose in all of these things is Christ. While the medical work we do here is valid and fills a big need, it is only a temporary bandaid. Christ can heal those we come in contact with from the disease of sin that eats at the soul. So I guess I have a new friend in the sky, a visible reminder of why we have come this way. It would be so much easier to pack up and head "home", but Christ has called us to shine in the darkness, to guide those on the seas of life toward His port of salvation.















Here are some images I got off the internet of the Southern Cross

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines