Thursday, February 16, 2006

A whole new language

I find that we have a whole new language here in the Philippines. I am not referring to the obvious Tagalog, but the new English words and expressions we have picked up. Things that sounded strange and a little silly are beginning to come out of my mouth. I heard myself ask Emily this afternoon where my tsinellas were. Tsinellas (pronounced "chi" nillas) is the word for rubber flip flops. It is the shoe of choice for most Filipinos. It was also a word I thought I would never remember when we moved here. The kids and I keep a pair just inside each outside door. Being an Asia country, we almost always remove our shoes when we walk in the door so we keep a pair handy for those quick trips out into the yard or to the Nelsen's. Until recently I would have asked Em where my shoes or flip flops were. She is known to grab mine when hers are missing and she wants to run out--when did her feet get almost as big as mine??? Ok, so I freely admit I have also borrowed hers a time or too.

Besides tsinellas I also find my self referring to air conditioning as "the aircon". As in-- the "aircon" in our car really needs to be fixed before hot season arrives in full force. Hopefully that will be done next week.

The phrase that I have picked up that drives Allan crazy is calling the refrigerator "the ref". I really don't want to call it the ref, but I hear it so often that it just flys out of my mouth with out me having any say so over the matter. I am sure there are other things we have also picked up. There are a few mid-western phrases the Nelsen's use that I am sure to be saying before too long. Of course they may be "fixin' " to pick up a few of our southern-isms as well. Our accents seem to provide much entertainment and comments--not among the Filipinos, but among other missionaries.

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines