Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Happy Valentines Day!

I hope you had a Happy Valentine's Day. One of the great things about living in the Philippines is that I get to spend a good portion of each day with Allan. After the last 3 years of residency, this is one of the biggest changes in our lives. In was not uncommon during residency to only see Allan for 30-40 minutes during dinner on the days he was on call. But, the very nature of that environment breeds close relationships among the other wives of residents. I still miss all of our friends at Self Regional, alot of whom are now scattered across the US. Most nights we eat dinner with just the 4 of us instead of eating at the hospital with the other families. There are times during the last 3 1/2 years that I thought residency would never end, but that life seems a lot longer ago than the 6 months we've been here.
Most days, I get to spend most of it with Allan. I enjoy helping him in the clinic and eating lunch together. While we dislike the work involved in studying Tagalog, it has bonded us together and created many inside jokes and sayings. So yesterday, we enjoyed a nice lunch with Scott and Cindy for Valentine's Day. It was great to get out and have a fun date at the authentic Filipino restaurant---TGIFridays. Ok so maybe it isn't exactly Filipino, but it was Yummy!
In case your interested in an update on our weather, it seems our "winter" is coming to an end. While the US has been experiencing record snow falls in parts of the Northeast, the temps have returned back to the high 80s with very little breeze. I guess it's time to dig back out the hanky I carry to the clinic to mop the sweat off my face. I have to say, it was hard for me to wrap my mind around summer all year and so I brought a few long sleeved items just in case. While the kids have worn theirs, I have only worn my 3/4 length lightweight cotton shirt once and no long sleeves. As I stuck my favorite pair of sweat pants in a shipping box last year, Allan said that he wanted to see the day I wore them. I guess that day will not be this year. Maybe my blood will thin and by next January I will freeze just a little. I do miss wearing sweats and my twin sweater sets. I still feel like it is August.

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines