Thursday, October 06, 2005

We live in the Philippines!??!

When thinking of a typical missionary it is often not the sharing of the gospel that seems to hallmark them as such in my mind. Rather I think of the stereotypical living conditions that seem typical of those living in the rural third world--no electricity, phones, or technology, dirt roads, little running water, and beautiful vistas unspoiled by urban development. While we do experience these things on an occasion they are not an everyday occurence in the urban area bordering metro Manila. You will remember that we have had a couple power and phone outages. We have lost contact with the outside and inside worlds on 2 somewhat long occasions. Our backyard is a beautiful oasis in an otherwise concrete jungle, and daily I get to drive on a unpaved road filed with pot hole as I drive the kids to school. While these make me realize that I live in a place far different from the US they haven't made me think--"Oh you're finally a missionary!" Until now....
Unfortunately, we have woken up to the 4th day without water. There seems to be no apparent reason except that we live in the Philippines and that seems reason enough. If we are lucky it seems to come back in the evening though. I skipped a shower the first day because I had taken one the night before, but on day 2 I took my first bucket bath. There is nothing more refreshing than standing in the bathtub dumping a bucket of cold water over your head to rinse out shampoo. bbbuurrrr! Did I say I haven't been cold here?? Well here is the way to cool off! We have even had to teach the children how to do this. That was an experience.
Ginger

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines