Friday, October 14, 2005

It's beginning to look a lot like.....Christmas???

This afternoon I ran to the grocery store to pick up a few things. When I drove up, the store had been decked out for Christmas--It is a "ber" month after all and that is when you begin celebrating Christmas in the Philippines. Over that last month, we had already heard a Christmas song or two and seen some stores selling decorations, but even Wal-mart usually starts selling Christmas stuff just after they get rid of school supplies. This on the other hand is a whole other ball game. The outside of the store had big plastic decorations mounted on the building. Pink glittery ribbons with cute animals in Santa hats and big lime green stars. (OK so not your traditional Christmas colors) It looks like the whole thing will glow from the inside at night. The kids and I will have to go check it out. The grocery stores at home might put up a wreath or 2, but this is like the outside of a mall would be in the States.
I was greeted with a "Merry Christmas, M'am!" when I entered into a Christmas wonderland. Glowing 3 foot stars and the same cute critters hung from the ceiling about every 10 feet. Christmas displays of food and decorations abounded. Blaring over the store's PA system were classic American Christmas songs. I found myself humming and singing along to the 12 days of Christmas, Rudolph, and It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. I got into the spirit of things and returned my cashiers greeting of "Merry Christmas!" I walked from the cool airconditioned winter wonderland feeling the spirit of Christmas and into the 90 degree humidity of the Philippines. I stepped quickly back into the reality that it is only October and it feels like July! We are supposed to have cooler weather as we move towards the month of December, but Im not sure the low80s will feel much different. I guess if you live in Florida this is what Christmas feels like, not that it's much cooler in S. Carolina,Georgia or Alabama either. It will be fun to see all the decorations as the Philippines prepares for the biggest holiday of the year.
Ginger

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines