Thursday, February 07, 2008

Kung Hei Fat Choi

or Happy Chinese New Year! The streets of Manila are once again festooned with red Chinese paper lanterns. With a large Chinese population in the Philippines, this is a day for celebrating. Today we begin the Year of the Rat! When we lived in the US, I couldn't have told you what time of year Chinese New Year occured. Now I not only know the date each year (it moves by the way), but also the yearly animal. So I will pass along to you the greeting given here in the PI "Kung hei Fat Choi!"
On a personal note- Em and I were out at the store yesterday and one of the salemen said this greeting to me. I didn't understand what he said and asked him to repeat himself. Again not understanding him, I repeated back..."I have a choice?? of what?" His response..."No, Happy Chinese New Year! Kung Hei Fat Choi!" How embarrassing!

Grocery stores and markets have out boxes of Tikoy (Chinese New Year pudding) This is a standard delicacy for Filipinos during the celebration of Chinese New Year.

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines