Saturday, July 01, 2006

Will's new Swimsuit

Ok for those of you who don't want to enjoy another of my shopping experiences here in the PI then this isn't the blog for you. First a little background info--About 3 summers ago, Will began wearing rash guards when he went swimming. My cousin Susan introduced them to me when we were at Gulf Shores. Will was so skinny that he had a hard time staying warm in the water and my cousin said this might help. Apparently rash guards are pretty popluar in New England where the water is a lot cooler. It really helped, Will loved it and we quickly learned the added benefit of protecting his pale white skin from the sun.

Yesterday, I went to our local grocery store which is kind of like a mini-Walmart (emphasis on mini). I was buying a few groceries and some toiletry items for the kids to take to a summer camp for MKs next week. While there I decided to see if they had anything that Will could wear for pjs since his are all getting a little too small. As I walked toward the back of the kids clothing section, I was stopped by an outfit hanging there that I knew I had seen before. It was a shirt, bathing suit trunks, and flip flops all packaged together. The brand name--Sun 'n' Sand. I knew this was a Walmart brand. I also knew these were not Filipino swim trunks because they had a liner inside and boy's bathing suits here are made just like shorts. There was a whole rack of boys swimsuits and tees that were made in the Philippines for Walmart, along with some Op suits that came with rash guards. I was so excited. I of course bought Will a new suit and shirt. Later that afternoon we went to the pool where I saw 2 other families who had also discovered my find. Allan thinks we all seem a little too excited about finding American bathing suits, but it is more than that. It is like finding a piece of home. I am sure he would feel the same way if we were driving down the street and stumbled across a Guthries or a Zaxby's.

Here is the outfit that stopped me at Shopwise. It is listed for sale at the Walmart website.












Here is Will in his new suit.
The bottoms are a little big (surprise),
but he already had 2 others that match the shirt

No comments:

About Us

Allan & Ginger Gilmer, Philippine Mission P.O. Box 2035 Antipolo, Rizal 1870 Philippines